Thursday, August 4, 2011

Homemade Granola

One of my favorite things about cooking for myself, is that I know that it's healthier than anything someone else made at the store. Chances are pretty good that I'm not adding preservatives and extra salt to give my food a shelf life. Granola is a great example. It makes a great topping for yogurt, ice cream, or even cooked oatmeal. Sometimes I grab a handful just for a sweet snack!



Homemade Granola
 
2 c. dry oatmeal
2/3 c. nuts, chopped
2 Tbls. packed brown sugar
2 Tbls  honey (one good long squeeze)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. raisins, craisins OR  chopped dried fruit of your choice
Optional - coconut

Mix nuts, brown sugar, oats, honey and vanilla in an 8x8 glass baking dish. Cook on high 5 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. Add raisins and coconut. Cool completely. Stir to crumble mixture.
Store in an airtight container.

Everything in this recipe would be considered a "Pantry Staple".

No comments:

Post a Comment