Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Bacon Sprouts!

Yeah, that's right, I said BACON! Here's why... if the two slices of bacon in this recipe get you to try brussel sprouts... I win. Brussel Sprouts are a veggie I've rediscovered in recent years. I've found that I need them fully cooked.. but I'm eating them! This recipe takes a little juggling, but close counts.


Brussel Sprouts with Bacon Vinaigrette

Ingredients:
12-14 Brussel sprouts, rinsed, trimmed and halved
2 slices of bacon, chopped
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, grated
1 Tbls Dijon Mustard
1 Tbls Red Wine Vinegar (Balsamic could be used here too)
Salt and Pepper
EVOO

Brussel Sprouts:
1. Place sprouts in small glass bowl, add 1 tbls of water and microwave for 3 minutes.

At this point the sprouts are good to go, but I threw the halves on the grill with the rest of my dinner for 5 minutes until they carmelized at the edges.

Vinaigrette:

1. In a medium skillet, crisp the bacon (use a couple drops of EVOO if neccesary to get started), then remove the bacon pieces, placing on papertowel to absorb extra oil
2. Add onions and garlic to the pan, sauteeing until onions are soft (5 minutes). Remove from heat
3. Whisk in Mustard and vinegar until it forms a "dressing" consistency.

Add cooked sprouts and bacon to the sauce pan and coat. Salt (very little) and pepper (lots) to taste.

Note: the viniagrette also makes a great dressing for a Spinach Salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment