Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Cauliflower- Carrot Soup

Last week I was on vacation. Where I read, in full, 3 "diet" books~ while sitting on the dock, listen to the waters of Lake Vermillion splash against the shores. Mostly I read them for the nutritional information, and occasionally for a fun recipe. Inspired by my friend Jess' recent kitchen experiment (she's having facebook friends randomly and unknowingly choose recipes from her 119 cookbooks and making them--- check it out at http://icajelleats.blogspot.com/), I decided to start making a few of the fun recipes that I find in all of these diet books.  So here goes the first one; and and just let me tell you how hard it was for me to stick to the recipe exactly, I knew this would be weak, but I did it anyway...

Cauliflower-Carrot Soup from The Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates

Cauliflower-Carrot Soup

Ingredients:
1 Tbls. butter
1 head of cauliflower, chopped
4 cups of chopped carrots
1 large onion
1 Tlbs of dried Tarragon
Water to cover

Sea salt to taste

1. In a soup pot, warm butter, and add tarragon
2. Add onion, sauteing until translucent
3. Add carrots, cauliflower, and water
4. Simmer until tender (approx. 25 minutes)
5. In a blender, puree (I used a stick blender)
6. Return soup to pot adding sea salt.
7. Simmer for another 10 minutes

Results:
While I am not a big fan of either carrots or cauliflower, this soup was pretty good. And better the next day for lunch!  Would I make it again? Yes? The same way? No. Here's what I would try.
* Use Vegetable or Chicken stock instead of water for more flavor (but yes, more calories)
* Add a Sweet Potato (or regular potato) to the mix to give it a thicker texture
* Add a few shakes of red pepper flakes (I did this to my pot afterwards)

I think any one of those options would be great... I'll keep you posted if I try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment