Sunday, September 18, 2011

Quinoa with Peas and Spinach

Quinoa is a power packed whole grain! With 6 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber per serving, it's a meal in itself! However, it's pretty boring when it's plain, definitely cook it in stock (as opposed to water), and go crazy from there! I find I typically make it the same way I would make risotto, packed with veggies.

This is what I'm bringing in my brown bag lunch tomorrow (and what I had for lunch today!)

Ingredients:
1 cup Quinoa (rinsed and drained)
2 cups low/no sodium chicken stock (veggie stock would work here too)
1 large shallot, chopped (or 2 Tbls chopped onion)
1 garlic clove, minced or grated
1 tsp fresh Thyme (or 1/2 tsp if using dried)
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup frozen peas
2 cups fresh chopped Spinach (one large handful)
2 Tbls Romano or Parmesan cheese *optional*
1 tsp Parsley, dried (or 1 Tbls fresh)

Heat 1 Tbls Olive Oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add shallot, garlic and pepper, sautee for 2 minutes, then add Quinoa and cook until slightly toasted (5 minutes- watch it so it doesn't burn!).

Add stock and bring to a boil. Turn down heat, adding thyme and simmer until liquid is almost gone (about 20 minutes)

Add peas and spinach (and parsley if using dried) and bring back to a simmer (I turn up the heat again). Simmer until liquid is gone, quinoa is cooked, and peas are heated through (about another 10 minutes).

Remove pan from heat and stir in cheese (and parsley, if using fresh).

Makes 4 servings as a side (3 as a lunch- in my opinion).

** I think adding a cup of leftover fully cooked chicken or shrimp, would make a fabulous addition!!
Quinoa with Peas and Spinach

No comments:

Post a Comment