Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Coke Roast

I love using my crockpot, but it's a cool weather treat for me. So when the weather finally turned cooler a couple weeks ago, I couldn't wait to make the infamous Coke Roast. It's not the healthiest thing on the planet, but everything in moderation right? And, if you pair it with some healthy vegetables on the side- it's not too bad! Typically I serve it with mashed potatoes and a green veggie (pictured here with green beans).

Coke Roast with Garlic Mashed Reds and Green Beans
Ingredients:
1 3lb beef roast trimmed of fat
1 12oz can of Coke (I've never used Pepsi, but I suppose any cola would do)
1 packed of dry Lipton Onion Soup mix (or French Onion)
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup (if you want gravy, if not- leave this out)

Place all ingredients in the crockpot (no need to pre mix anything) and cook on low for 8 hours. Here's the thing with beef, as it cooks, it gets tender, then solid, then falls apart. That's when it's done. If it doesn't shred easily when you pick it up, it needs a little longer.

If you used the Mushroom soup, stir the liquids to made a sauce/gravy. Remember, a serving of protein is about the size of a deck of cards.

Freeze leftovers in the juices, reheats nicely in sauce pan.  Leftover roast makes great pulled beef sandwiches!

No comments:

Post a Comment