Sunday, December 30, 2012

Protein Powders and Meal Replacement Shakes

It's that time of year. Everyone is looking for the quick fix to eating healthier. I get a TON of questions about vitamins, protein powders and shake programs. So here is my breakdown.

Let me start by saying EVERYONE needs a supplement. No matter how clean you eat, it's practically impossible to get all of the nutrients you need in a reasonable amount of calories. So please, take a multivitamin. Do your research. I choose a product called Reliv. I've been on it for over a year, and have noticed dramatic improvements in my digestive health, and sleep patterns. But I'm not here to sell you on my multivitamin!!

Next up... protein powders and meal-replacement shake programs. Here's my opinion. Try food first. I know you think this might be your problem (too much food, that is), but if you are willing to make the commitment to shakes and a "diet", you should be able to commit to a real food program. I have tried using shakes/powders, and they don't satisfy me. I like food! I want to EAT my meal, not drink it. I found myself eating more calories because I still needed the crunch and flavor of actual food. That being said, if you think you want to do the shake thing - try making smoothies with yogurt, almond milk, peanut butter, spinach, avocado, bananas, etc. (Just not all of these together, yuk!) There are a million smoothie recipes online, so google it!

My other "beef" with shakes is the chemicals. Call me hypocritical- I just recommended vitamins, which- if you read the ingredients, contradict the #1 rule of nutrition- if you can't pronounce it, don't ingest it. But, I still believe vitamins are a necessity. That being said, why would you double that by putting more of it in your body?

You will hear these shakes called "nutritional supplements". It's true, in some cases, your shake could be your vitamin. If that is the case, you should only be taking them once a day-just like a vitamin. My dislike of these programs comes when you start seeing "diets" that require you to drink 2-3 shakes a day, taking some kind of energy drink to keep you focused in the afternoon, and then some kind of sleep-aid at night... all labeled under "good nutrition". Ugh. Are you seeing the problem here?

I know there are a million people out there who will disagree with me. "I need protein after I work out!" is the #1 excuse... guess what?! An apple with a Tablespoon of natural peanut butter, is a ton healthier for you- and you will feel better about yourself. And unless you are a body builder- you don't need THAT much protein after you work out.

So in review, I will say... Take a vitamin, and to quote Michael Pollan "Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants."


No comments:

Post a Comment