Sunday, January 15, 2012

Greens and Beans Soup!

I am trying to get back on the "bring your lunch to work" bandwagon. I've discovered that the easiest thing for me to bring is soup! And since I need to break in my new dutch oven (thanks mom!), today was the day to whip up something new. This recipe is the culmination of a few I found. One of them was very similar, but also included browned sausage! I chose not to add meat, but if you did, I would add 1 lb of sausage to the first stage of this soup... mixed with the onions and garlic.

Beans and Greens Soup

Ingredients
2 Tablespoons Olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
7 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
1 head escarole, chopped
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 tsp dried oregano (thyme or rosemary would also work here)
4 cups fat free chicken stock
1 cup water
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon lemon rind
3  15oz cans Great Northern Beans, lightly drained.
salt and pepper

Directions:
Warm the oil in a large pot of medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 10 minutes, until veggies are soft. Stir in the escarole, sugar, and oregano, cook for another 10 minutes.

Add broth and water, and heat until boiling over medium-high heat. When soup boils, reduce heat to low, add the cheese and lemon rind and stir continuously until cheese is melted (enjoy the wonderfully fresh scent with the lemon hits the hot soup!). Stir in the beans, season with salt and pepper, and let simmer for 20 minutes to several hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment