Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Michael Symon's Grilled Salmon with Shaved Carrot Salad

Ok people. I have some confessions to make.
#1- I hate Salmon
#2- I have a huge crush on Michael Symon!
#3- due to #2, I am addicted to The Chew!

As it turns out, I love Iron Chef Symon enough to trust that I might really like his salmon dish from the show earlier this week. It was fantastic! I might have found my salmon cooking mistakes as well; don't over cook the fish, and remove the skin before cooking! While the smell was still really fishy, the fish didn't seem nearly as oily as it usually does. Enough- here's the recipe!


Grilled Salmon with shaved carrot salad

Ingredients:
4- 6oz pieces of salmon
4 oz EVOO
1 bunch of scallions
1/2 cup toasted peanuts
salt and pepper
3 medium Organic carrots
1 Tablespoon cumin seed
1 cup mint leaves
2 oz red wine vinegar

Instructions:

Season salmon with salt and pepper and brush with olive oil. Grill for 2 minutes on each side.

While the salmon is grilling shave the carrots, toast the cumin sees and peanuts, slice the scallions thin and tear mint leaves.

Place carrrots, cumin seeds, scallions and mint in a large mixing bowl with the peanuts.

Whisk together the oil and red wine vinegar and add to the vegetables. Season liberally with salt and pepper, Place the salmon on a platter and top with the shaved carrot salad.


* what I did differently: I didn't have cumin seeds, so I just sprinkled a little ground cumin on the carrots- go easy! Also- I subbed cashers for peanuts (almonds would work too)- it's just what I had in the house. I also made just one serving, so I kind of guessed on amounts. However, I'm not a big mint-in-food fan so I went pretty light on the mint. Oh- and I made this on my George Foreman Grill-- it was too cold, damp and windy tonight for the grill. None-the-less, the flavor was amazing!!


No comments:

Post a Comment