Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Zucchini Noodles!

This week, I'm doing the Whole Living Detox Cleanse, and I'm in week one. This week we are surviving on Vegetables, Fruits, Nuts, seeds and lentils. It's pretty strict. At first I limited myself to just the foods listed in the plan. But after one too many servings of cabbage, I was really feeling like I wanted something more similar to my regular diet. I subscribe to a lot of healthy food magazines, that I enjoy reading at the gym! :) One featured some raw food recipes, and it inspired me to come up with this dish.

Makes 1 serving.
1 raw zucchini
1 Tbls Coconut or Olive Oil
1 portobello mushroom cap, diced
2 Tbls minced onion
1/4 prepared marinara sauce
Nutritional Yeast, optional

To prepare zuchinni. Slice thinly- using mandoline or sharp knife, then cut into strips to form "noodles". These could be blanched or used raw. I chose raw- but I would have liked them warm- and the sauce didn't heat them enough for me. In the Summer though- this might be fun!

Heat Oil in skillet. Add mushroom and onion. Cook until desired tenderness, then add the sauce and heat through.

To serve, top "noodles" with sauce mix, and sprinkle with a pinch of nutritional yeast to add "cheese". This recipe is Vegan, but you certainly could add a protein to the mix!

No comments:

Post a Comment