Sunday, December 18, 2011

Apple-Cheddar-Squash Soup

I saw this recipe on the Food Network facebook page one day, and thought it sounded SO good. But, when I saw there were 34g of fat per serving, I freaked! That's a whole days' worth of fat in one little bowl of soup!  I will post the recipe as published by the Food Network with notes as to what I did differently.

Ingredients:
5 Tbls unsalted butter (I used 1T of butter and 1T grapeseed oil)
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 medium apples, thinkly sliced
1 large white potato, diced
1 1/2 cup chopped peeled butternut squash, fresh or frozen (I used frozen pureed squash, it was fine)
Kosher salt & Freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp dried sage
2T all purpose flour
1/3 cup apple cider
4 cups low sodium chicken broth (I use Stock)
1cup milk (I used skim)
2 oz thinly sliced prosciutto torn into pieces (I used 1 oz)
2 cups grated Cheddar cheese (I used one cup, and a little for garnish)
Chopped chives, for garnish
Crusty Bread

Directions:
Melt 4 Tablespoons (I used the butter/oil combo) of butter in large pot over medium-low heat and add the onion, apples, potato and squash. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the onion is soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in the sage and flour. Add the cider and cook over high heat, stirring, until thickened. Add the broth and milk, cover and bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the potatoe is soft, 8 to 10 minutes.  (If you are using the box of frozen pureed squash, I suggest adding it after the onions are soft, and before the sage and flour)

Meanwhile, heat the remaing 1T butter in aa large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the proscuitto and cook until crisp, turning occasionally, about 2 minutes, drain on paper towels. [ok, while there isn't a ton of fat in prosciutto, I always cook bacon like meats on a broiler pan in my toaster oven. No need to add extra fat]

Add cheese to the soup and stir over medium -low heat until melted (DO NOT BOIL). Puree in a blender in batches until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Garnish with the prosciutto, more cheese and chives. Serve with bread.

Apple-Cheddar-Squash soup, with Sixx, my feline "helper".
Here's my healthy tips! You don't need 4 tablespoons of butter to saute a few veggies. Be smart! There are a lot of veggies here, but halving the butter/oil cuts out 20+ grams of fat! (about 11 per tablespoon).  Cheese is another kicker! Lots of fat there! I wasn't sure it would be good with half of the cheese, but it was! And those were the two big changes I made that dropped the fat from 34g to about 12!! Without losing taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment